We don't take sleep apnea lightly. It not only causes labored breathing at night, but in severe cases can causes death. Loud snoring, day time sleepiness, insomnia, diabetes, forgetfulness, dry mouth or head aches in the morning are all indicators that you may be suffering from sleep apnea. Here are some eye opening consequences of not getting treated.
1. High Blood Pressure - Obstructive sleep apnea can cause you to frequently wake up at night. This interruption in sleep causes your hormones to over tire and increase your blood pressure. In contrast, if you're not getting enough oxygen into your system, your blood pressure will lower and increase your risk of hypertension.
2. Weight Gain - Two thirds of patients are over weight. This is due to fat deposits in the neck that block oxygen airways. Exhaustion causes a decrease in your metabolism which ultimately leads to weight gain. If treated, you'll have more energy to exercise and stay fit.
3. Heart Disease - Because of the break in oxygen to your brain, your body naturally has a harder time pumping blood to your brain and arteries. The result of low oxygen and abrupt waking dramatically increases your risk of heart attacks, strokes or in severe cases death.
4. Car Accidents - If you're not getting enough sleep, you're naturally going to be more groggy, which ultimately can cause you to wreck while driving. You are 5 times more likely to get in a car wreck if you suffer from obstructive sleep apnea.
5. Loss of Sleep for Your Partner - You not only hurts yourself, but your partner as well. Snoring and frequent waking at night keeps your spouse from getting a good night's sleep, which can cause harmful side effects during the day. A lack of sleep impairs your learning, memory and motor skills as well as increases your risk of depression, headaches and anger.
The severity of not getting treated is imperative! At Austin Family Dentistry we offer a dental device for sleep apnea to help you get a better night's sleep. Don't wait to get treated. Schedule a free consultation with us and get the sleep you've been dreaming of!