As you begin to settle into 2017 and wrap up those new year’s resolutions, don’t forget about setting goals for one very important aspect of your overall wellness - your dental health.
That’s why Austin Family Dentistry is here with a super helpful dental health checklist to help you get started! This simple list is especially important for patients who haven’t had a recent dental examination or cleaning. Remember that early detection of dental problems results in easier (and generally less expensive) treatment.
- Visit your family dentistry office twice a year for checkups and cleanings.
- Brush your teeth at least twice per day using a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss between your teeth at least once per day, especially after dinner or before bedtime.
- Replace your toothbrush every two months to minimize the growth of bacteria.
- Brush your teeth for a total duration of two minutes every time, making sure you reach your teeth from all sides (front, back, and all chewing surfaces).
- Clean your tongue when you brush your teeth.
- Rinse and gargle with mouthwash or a special rinse before bedtime.
- Eliminate super sugary foods from your diet, as they have a negative impact on your overall health (not just dental health).
- Skip your dental visits or cleanings. You’ll want to see your dentist at least twice per year.
- Neglect brushing and flossing. It’s much more than just an oral health issue; you can increase your risk for heart disease and diabetes, among other diseases.
- Forget to clean behind your back teeth. You need to reach all areas of your mouth when brushing.
- Rely on mouthwash alone to keep your teeth healthy. You need to brush and floss, too.
- Forget to rinse after drinking coffee or wine, as these beverage can stain your teeth.
- Drink sports drinks or juice as a substitute for fruit.
- Smoke. It goes without saying, but smoking can cause serious overall health problems.
Still have questions about your dental health in the new year? Make an appointment with our Maumelle or Little Rock dentist office today. Austin Family Dentistry is proud to offer dental solutions in the Little Rock metro area for any oral health needs you or your family may have, including safe oral sedation, orthodontics, cosmetic dentistry, pediatric dentistry, and family dentistry. Start 2017 off with a healthy, beautiful smile by contacting us today!